The holiday season brings us together to celebrate over good food, heartfelt gifts, and beautifully decorated homes—unfortunately, all of these things can also bring an abundance of waste. Between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, American household waste increases by more than 25%, contributing an additional 1 million tons of trash a week to our landfills.
Implementing some small steps into our celebrations can help guarantee a cutback on waste. It could be as simple as:
- Avoiding overpreparing and overcooking for dinner guests
- Asking guests to bring food containers so they can take home any leftovers
- Using reusable dishes and cutlery at our tables
- Buying less by gifting experiences
- Opting out of wrapping our presents
But for those holiday traditions we just can’t give up; TerraCycle can help provide you with simple solutions.
Shop brands that recycle
We work together with companies and brands to offer you free recycling solutions. Whether you’re stocking up on snacks for guests, single-use dishes for dinner, or gifting something fun for your friends—check out some of the brands we work with and keep them in mind when you’re heading out to shop this season.
Brands pay to sponsor our free recycling programs. They cover the cost to ship and process the items in their program through TerraCycle. Getting involved with our free recycling programs is easy. All you have to do is:
- Create a TerraCycle account
- Join as many programs as you wish
- Start collecting the waste streams accepted by those programs
- Download your FREE shipping label
- Send it off to us to be recycled!
Send your waste back to TerraCycle
For any trash not accepted by the free brand-sponsored recycling programs or your local municipal recycling, ship it to TerraCycle by purchasing a Zero Waste Box™.
We have a box for everything you need, including:
- Dining disposables and party supplies
- Holiday decorations
- Wrapping paper and gift waste
- And even an all-in-one box that simplifies the entire process!
While we may all be hoping for a dreamy white Christmas, we can ensure we have a green holiday season by offsetting our waste and decreasing the amount of trash that goes to landfills.